Thank you, everyone, for being in my Stand Up Writing class and making it a success. This class is five weeks, culminating (finishing) on Tuesday December 17 with our performances. The principles of my class are designed to embrace your strengths and your story. We will develop the writing mechanics and Stand Up craft to build your story. Have fun, be yourself and allow the best of creative self. We embrace our story in this class. I highly recommend we journal three pages a day on everything Stand Up, our fears, victories, our set, our material, journal about different perspectives tagging the jokes you have already written to make more jokes.
Remember your goal and when you’re writing your set. Remember to align the energy of your goal: if it’s to take a risk, be spontaneous, to laugh, to write well crafted jokes, whatever your goal is, visualize it and actualize it (make it happen) through our material.
Here’s the outline of our set: 1) STORY, 2) CREATING A JOKE FOR EACH SENTENCE IN THE STORY.3) LOCATING THE UNSPOKEN TRUTH IN THE PREMISE. 4) USE THE UNSPOKEN AS A PUNCHLINE. 5) USING THE ONE JOKE TO FORESHADOW/ SETUP THE NEXT 6)JOURNAL AND REHEARSE YOUR STORY AND JOKES. 7) REPEAT.
REMEMBER: OUR JOKES SHOULD REVEAL WHO WE ARE TELL THE AUDIENCE ABOUT WHO WE ARE AND MAKE US MEMORABLE. We begin with the first sentence in our story. My story is about being a kid. I want to reveal me in this set and not have my material point ‘out there.’ When I look at this set what I’m saying is we were fearless and limitless as kids.’ These are the ideas and emotions I’m mining in my story/ set/ punchlines. I’m revealing me this way and this way, keeping the set original and authentic. I’m also keeping my goal in mind, the theme in my stories.
1) Use your introduction to foreshadow your set. 2) Rehearse your story until you know it and then begin tagging it. I’ll begin at the first sentence in Water Slide Story.
JOKE 1) I wasn’t ready for my first relationship ( this is the premise I’ve stated it and now ask the unspoken questions, the way out sarcastic questions and the deep dark questions and also, not just from our perspectives, BRAINSTORM from SEVERAL PERSPECTIVES” Back to I wasn’t ready to be in a relationship: I was too immature, I had my parents as an example, I didn’t know how to be myself, I was 19. (This last idea struck a chord with me. Here’s the first joke. I’ll rehearse and talk around it but here’s the bones of the joke.)
- My first joke about “Being a kid.”
- Remember all the things we used to do as kids that we no longer do as adults? Raiding gardens, swimming all day, hide and seek. Lets face it; it’s hard to ring a bell and run like hell with a bad hip. This will be my opening joke for my story/set.
- Have a 2 to 5 minute story/set ready for Monday. E mail me if you have any questions.
- REMEMBER: you can book me for your event or company Christmas Party. Ask me in class.
- Have fun!!!!!
- And please share my web site and comedy links.
- REMEMBER DECEMBER 17 YUK YUKS CENTURY CASINO: SPREAD THE WORD. Doors open at 6:30. Tickets are 10$ Show time: 7:30
- Here’s the link to my first novel: https://store.bookbaby.com/book/the-angels-claw-1
- E MAIL ME: email@example.com