My next STAND UP COMEDY WRITING CLASS, begins Monday February 25 at Yuk’s Edmonton. This class will be working on: STORY, EMBEDDING EMOTION, GENRE, ( MISDIRECTION, SARCASM, CALLBACKS, GAGS) SET DESIGN, (OPENING, CLOSING JOKES) as well as Theme and THE BUSINESS OF STAND UP.
I have been performing and teaching Stand Up for over thirty years. I come from stand up from a writing back ground: TWO NOVELS, PLAYWRIGHT/ THREE FRINGE PLAYS, A NATIONAL TEACHING AWARD, COMEDY NOW, AND Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal, Halifax and Saint John’s Comedy Festivals. The reason I list these is not to impress but to show how my Stand Up Writing class is effected by other writing genres. An opening joke must get the audience’s attention. It should also set up your theme, the pattern running through the stories of your life, your market brand. The final closing joke in your set should tie up your set and leave the audience with no doubt what your message is.
- We will also be covering perspective, looking at ideas and moments from each student’s life from different points of view. The secret to Stand Up and Story telling is sharing the moments that we’re afraid to share; the moments that we keep hidden. These moments have our theme absolutely reach an audience.
- TAGGING: We will explore the writing mechanics of joke writing and then use them to amplify our story.
- Energy frequency. When we’re afraid, so is an audience. Our energy influences us creatively; when we’re having fun so is our audience.
- DEFINING our goals. Just like aligning our emotions and energy in our material, we can also sequence our energy to where we ask and work towards where our Stand Up and Writing is taking us.
- Working on our work. We will be sharing our material in class as well as helping others in the class write their material. We will rehearse and record our performances and learning to graph our sets so we can be more successful as STAND UPS and Writers.
- TO GET INFORMATION ON THIS CLASS, E MAIL ME AT: firstname.lastname@example.org