Thank you everyone for being in my class. I always like to ask more of myself as an Instructor, Stand Up Comedian and Author. I will give this class everything I am and am honored that everyone in this class is in my class. Thank you. Again, if anyone has any challenges during the week, E MAIL ME AT: paulsveen@shaw. ca
REMEMBER: JOURNAL three pages a day. Get up a little earlier and stream of consciousness three pages about your set, joke writing, visualizing the next class, your Comedy Night, anything and everything to do with the SAND BOX that is your humor gift.
HOMEWORK: For next next Monday’s class have a THREE MINUTE SET/STORY for class, AND, five jokes using the formula is gave in the handout and in this blog.
JOKE WRITING: 1) Look at the first sentence in your story. (Mine is being asked to a pool party by Evangelicals)
- Ask and answer HONEST questions about how you feel. The question is the PREMISE. The Answer is the PUNCH LINE.
- Near the BOTTOM of a page in your NOTE BOOK write the word POOL ( this is where we’re going to store all of our random brain storming ideas and things that are associated with the PREMISE and PUNCHLINE- key words, cliche’s, random thoughts….
- Speak the story out loud, how do you really feel about the first sentence in your story? ( why do I feel I’m being recruited by the evangelicals? Because I am. I’m not part of any church and they want me to be.
- Our first thoughts are going to be sarcasm or at least allow them to be. This is a great way to mine material. Ask the honest question and give a sarcastic answer.
- QUESTION: “Why would Evangelicals invite me to a pool party? (ANSWER) They have a quota, they work on commission, I’m being paranoid, I honestly think they were looking for new members. I’m going with this. Here’s my first joke, over the top sarcasm.
- Why would a church invite me to a pool party. I think they wanted me to be in an episode of PRAY watch.
- When we add AMPLIFIERS, words that are CONNECTED TO the PREMISE, we then create MISDIRECTION. Add words that are connected to swimming to the FIRST PART OF YOUR JOKE. This will take attention away from the PUNCH LINE.
- “Why would a church invite me to a pool party? Water wings, diving boards, slides? It’s an episode of PRAY watch.”
- To add EMOTION to a joke, ADD WORDS THAT HAVE EMOTION. (Place words connected to your story at the bottom of the page. for me it’s words connected to swimming and church: sharks, apocalypse, drowning, cannonball, scream, phrases like, walk don’t run, baptize.. look at the words in your sentence and see if you can replace a NEUTRAL word in your joke with one that holds more emotion.
- Am I PARANOID? My evangelical neighbor invited me to a pool party. And nothing screams BORN AGAIN more than shooting out of a water slide into the DEEP END.
- Ask the questions and answer it with honesty and sarcasm. Start there. And remember to talk it out, and from different perspectives not only your own. Why else is in your story? In mine its: life guard, screaming kids, parents, clergy, teenagers, seniors, diving boards, steam room, whirl pool. All these things have a perspective, even the inanimate.
- FINISH THIS JOKE: Why is the deck around a pool so slippery? If they wanted to use something that STICKS they’d use. . .
- Have fun. See you next class!!!